Electrical stimulation is a promising assistive technology that can be used to aid the recovery of upper and lower limb in the treatment of upper motor neuron impairments including people with Cerebral Palsy, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury and Stroke. It uses electrical current to stimulate muscle contraction via electrodes, facilitating movement of a weakened or paralysed limb. Several uses and benefits have been investigated regarding electrical stimulation including strengthening weak muscles, increasing range of motion, reducing spasticity, improving motor control, reducing shoulder subluxation, reducing pain associated with shoulder subluxation and spasticity, improving sensory and proprioceptive awareness, and improving effects of botulinum toxin for management of spasticity.
Our skilled physiotherapists will provide with the most appropriate program to:
- Help promote neurological recovery.
- Reduce muscle spasm and pain.
- Maintain/improve muscle bulk (preventing atrophy)
- Help maintain/improve bone density and
- Use as an exercise program to compliment your general rehabilitation.